Joey Porter's Pit Bulls
fear foresee fearsee what may be the outcome of the Pirates-Yankees trade a few years out.
Xavier Nady becomes the next Paul O'Neill. Like Marte, he signs an extension with
On the Pirates' side, the three pitchers scuffle along with plus-five ERAs, plus-two WHIPs (walks + hits per innings pitched). They shuttle back and forth between
- One of them, perhaps Daniel McCutchen, finds middling success as a back-of-the-rotation starter, but gives up too many home runs and clutch hits to be deemed dependable.
- Ross Ohlendorf displays occasionally good stuff, but like some other Pirates pitchers (Van Benschoten), shows an all-too-frequent tendency to flatten his strikes without sufficient movement and get bombed. The Pirates move him back and forth between the rotation and bullpen, without much success either way.
- Jeff Karstens struggles early in his Pirates career and gets put on the Indianapolis-Pittsburgh shuttle for a couple years before the Pirates give up on him.
- In one of the first interviews Jose Tabata gives as a member of the Pirates organization, he blames the Yankees for how they mishandled him. He blames his 2008 lack of production on injuries and too much pressure applied by the Yankees' coaches and front office. In March 2009, at
, Tabata continues to have hamstring problems and enters the season on the DL. He eventually returns and struggles with AAA pitching. Despite putting up disappointing numbers, he is a September call-up but doesn't do much. Bradenton
- Scouts and observers call Tabata "enigmatic" and question his toughness and mental make-up.
- In 2010, more of the same. Eventually, in 2011, he finds some moderate success and is called up to the parent club but struggles mightily. The Pirates keep him on the roster as a backup outfielder. In 2012, more of the same. Having never made an impact as a major league outfielder, but having found some moderate success as a backup at all three outfield positions, the Pirates include him as apart of a package deal at the trade deadline in 2012, with the acquiring team hoping he can become the next Jody Gerut.
In 2013, the Pirates begin another rebuilding plan with hopes of averting a landmark 20th consecutive losing season.
* * * * * *
ADDENDUM Wednesday, July 30 Update (from the Post-Gazette)